Monday, January 3, 2011

It hasn't hit me yet, has it?

I AM IN PARIS!! I am sitting in a plastic chair in a 13 m2 studio. It is so exciting! I left Jeddah, Saudi Arabia at 1:15am on January 3rd, 2011 and arrived at 5:53am local time. It feels soo surreal, but what an experience!

I left Jeddah with a mix of anxiety, excitement, and French in my head. I have been cautioned quite repeatedly  about pick-pockets that I think I'm slightly paranoid now. I feel like I'm taking it too far. If I am in a public place, I will study every person around me to answer the question of whether they look like they would so slyly steal from me. I think this horrible habit I am developing won't last long, though. Not a lot of aggressive, and pick-pocket-y looking people out there. Of course, I don't know what they'd look like anyway, and I don't really want to find out. 

So I forgot three things in my excitement to arrive: contact solution (I head it's so hard to find in this city-I'll let you know if I'm stuck wearing glasses for the next four months), my travel guide books for Paris and Europe (not really happy about that!), and the plugs to be able to plug in my electronics, including this laptop! So, I have to leave the descriptive post of my journey here to later. 

Preview: Number one lesson I learned today was to travel light and NOT like Americans, as was used to describe me today. I am sore all over because I carried a 50 lb bag up 4 flights of stairs!!! Is there a chiropractor in Paris?!?!

A tres vite,

Viva

No comments:

Post a Comment