Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Is every day an adventure?

Yes. I think Paris provides everyone with an adventure every day! That's why it is the most visited city in the world. But then again, I've only been here for 2 days. I'll get back to you on that one.

But yes, today was also an adventure. I was at work by 9am and my, was it wonderful! Everyone at BPI Group is so friendly, so helpful. I was able to practice a whole day of French and eat the most AMAZING Canard and potato meal. Every bite was flavourful and so well expressed. I apologize for not taking a picture of it. The smell with the ail (garlic) was just so wonderful, you couldn't help but just engulf it.

My manager is so impressive as well. She's easy to talk to (in both in English and French), and she is a strong part of the organization. Also, what a great organization! Very professional with an excellent atmosphere of learning and support. It is run by collectively impressive group of devoted employees. 

The big surprise today was that the keyboard is made slightly differently. The 'A' and the 'Q' are switched, which is the worst part of it. The 'Z' is switched with the 'W', and the 'M' is in the place of the semi-colon. It's also interesting that the numbers at the top of the keyboard are only activated if they are pressed when pressing the shift key. It will just take some getting used to. 

I also blew my CHI fuse today because I didn't check that the volts here are 110. To those who learn from others' mistakes, ELECTRIC OUTLETS IN PARIS ARE 220VOLTS! I don't know about the rest of France but I'll probably make that mistake too and let you know- I'll get back to you about that.

After I got home from work today, I took some pictures of the stair way up to my apartment. I think there is a high chance that I'll gain an injury from those stairs in the next 4 months- some steps have become very slippery over time! But interestingly about my building, it is one of the oldest in the area. It is right in front of what used to be a cemetery and, later, where a certain someone of importance was executed. So exciting! I'll right out the details in a later post- once these daily adventures start to become boring.


Pic 1: Looking down on the first flight of stairs.
Pic 2: Looking up on how much more I have to do after 2 flights of stairs
Pic 3: Looking at the 2nd flight.. 
You get the idea..








The blue door of this last picture is my door. :-)




That's what's right outside my door and this dark picture was taken in the evening of the stairway right outside my door looking down.


So I wanted to go to the Latin Quarters for a walk. On my way, found an outdoor skating rink and some very impressive skaters. It was fun to watch.  I took a few pictures and stopped by the Notre Dame again where there was a Mass taking place.  I continued to the 5th Arrondisement and just browsed the stores. The streets are always busy in Paris and it was nice to arrive safely back home.






I want to end off by saying that the place that I have, even though it's small, is quite central and sufficient. In fact, it's ideal for a minimum of a month-long stay in Paris. If anyone ever wants this location, which I genuinely recommend, please let me know and I'll definitely connect you to the tenant.  The only thing is that there is no elevator, but, the way I look at it, I get a great view and a very demanding, yet free body sculpting gym experience!



Till the next,

Viva

No comments:

Post a Comment